The City of Leominster is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status.
- Reports to: Recreation Director
- Effective: Jan 2021
- Wage: S-5 $49,775 - $64,237
- Union: Non-Union
- Location: Recreation Dept
- Full Time: M-F, 40 hrs per week
Coordinate and track maintenance activities with Recreation Director.
- Maintain recreational facilities, buildings, and grounds.
- Maintain and track recreational equipment and apparatus.
- Maintain effective communications with Director, employees, Government Officials, and general public.
- Follow City and Recreation Department policies and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
Supervise and train part-time seasonal employees and volunteers.
- Schedule daily maintenance tasks and weekly meetings.
- Schedule OSHA training for all maintenance staff and maintain records.
- Attend trainings and workshops as assigned by the Director.
- Operate pickup trucks, mowers, chainsaws, weedwhackers, blowers, and other motorized equipment.
Clean and perform general maintenance on vehicles and obtain yearly inspections.
- Update and maintain tool, equipment, and apparatus inventory.
Perform routine preventive maintenance of power equipment.
- Track, update, and record equipment/vehicle maintenance and time spent on maintenance tasks performed.
Prepare written reports and recommendations including budgetary needs.
- Inspect and maintain splash parks, playground equipment, bleachers, picnic tables, shade structures and record information.
- Maintain fields and landscaped areas (e.g., thatch, fertilize, aerate, weed, prune, mulch, rake, mow, leaf removal, irrigation system operation/maintenance, laying seed/sod).
- Perform inspections of park grounds and facilities; corrects and/or reports hazardous conditions.
- Perform janitorial and custodial maintenance of recreational grounds and buildings; to include restroom maintenance and trash disposal.
- Keep walkways, sidewalks, stairs, and parking lot clear of debris/snow.
Check, clear, and maintain the ice for skating at Barrett Park in the winter months, weather permitting.
- Purchase supplies and equipment as needed with Department Head authorization (Submit receipts to Administrative Assistant by the end of each day).
- Pick up trash on the ground and empty barrels at parks, playground sites and trail heads daily.
Assist with capital projects or special events as needed.
- Assist with programs as needed.
- Deliver and pickup materials as required (mail, flyers, commission information, bills, etc.)
- Responsible for locking and securing buildings, vehicles, and equipment at the end of each workday.
Hours: Spring and Summer Hours: 7:00 a.m. –3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Overtime may
be available but must be approved by Recreation Director. Hours may be reduced during
inclement weather. Hours may change during the fall and winter months. Hours may
change if working for a program activity, weekend event or plowing for the D.P.W.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
Knowledge of basic landscape and irrigation procedures.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
- Ability to evaluate situations and make decisions.
- Ability to perform basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical work and the knowledge to use necessary tools and equipment in performance of these jobs.
- Ability to perform janitorial skills for the maintenance of recreational facilities and grounds.
- Ability to operate a variety of heavy and light motorized equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and written.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
Graduation from High School or G.E.D. equivalent and/or general work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid Massachusetts Drivers’ License.
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) Certification or the ability to obtain certification required.
- Lift and move heavy equipment safely and properly.
- Physically able to work indoors and outdoors, year-round in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Basic computer skills required.
Must pass a pre-employment physical, CORI and Sori check.
The Leominster Recreation Department does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, marital status, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status or disability.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.