When do I need a permit from the conservation department?

Any activity, with a few specific exceptions, which will alter (1) a wetland area, (2) land within 100-feet of a wetland area, and/or (3) land within 200-feet of a perennial stream or river, known as the riverfront area (RFA) must obtain a permit from the Leominster Conservation Commission.

A great place to start is by typing in your address to the Leominster Web GIS. This shows many of the existing wetlands in Leominster. BE WARNED; if there are no wetlands indicated on the map, this does not necessarily mean there are no wetlands on site or that you do not require a permit from the conservation commission. Wetlands are dynamic and may expand or contract over time.  

Depending on the project, you may need to submit a Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA) to formally determine the extent of nearby wetlands or hire a wetlands specialist to properly delineate a wetland boundary. 

In any case, if you are unsure whether or not proposed work requires wetland permitting, please contact the Leominster Conservation Agent for an informal evaluation. 

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a permit from the conservation department?
2. What is a Notice of Intent (NOI)?