The City of Leominster is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status.
Summer Assistant Seasonal Flower Gardner and Groundskeeper:
If interested, please fill out the application below as well as sign and date the job description agreement.
- Carry out numerous gardening duties, requiring a minimum amount of supervision.
- Planting and maintaining flowers in the downtown area and parks.
- Assist with maintaining recreational areas, buildings, and athletic fields.
- Maintain tools, equipment, and vehicles.
- Plant, water and weed: flower beds, planters, islands, hanging baskets, new trees, etc.
- Soil cultivation, digging, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, bed preparation and planting.
- Hand-water and monitor irrigation of plantings, especially during time of establishment and drought.
- Keep the parks, islands and downtown sidewalks clear and free from litter and sand at all times. (Empty barrels and pick up trashon the ground at parks and playground sites.
- Maintain proper playground safety surfacing under and around playground equipment.
- Lawn and ball field maintenance if needed.
- The use and maintenance of gardening tools and maintenance equipment.
- Operate a rotary mower, push mower, weed whacker, and leaf blower.
- Adjustments of mower height and quality of cut, etc. Oil level checks and checks for damage to any mower.
- Ensure all equipment, machinery, vehicles, and buildings are secure and maintained at all times (Do not leave tools in the truck bed when unattended or at the end of the day).
- Keep the tool shed and garage clean and tidy.
- Maintain log sheets (time spent on maintenance task and equipment maintenance performed).
- Assist with Special Events set-up and breakdown as needed.
- Assist with programs as needed.
- Assist with capital projects.
- Assist with maintaining a tool and equipment inventory.
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Recreation.
Understand and ensure the implementation of the City’s Safety Policy. Report any damaged equipment or any potential hazard. Promote safe working practices within the City.
Promote and ensure the good reputation of the Recreation Department and City. Notify the Recreation Director as soon as possible if you are unable to attend work. Carry out any other duties needed for the position. This job description includes additional park maintenance duties and responsibilities that may be required of the position. It is not intended as an exhaustive list. Leominster Recreation Department reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time according to City needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing. Please feel free to share with the Recreation Director the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your position.
30-40 hours per week as needed between 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and weekends as needed. Overtime may be available, but must be approved. Hours may be shortened during inclement weather and extended during heavy workload periods. This is a non-benefit seasonal position. No paid holidays, sick time, or vacation pay. You must work the holidays.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current and valid Massachusetts Drivers’ License
- Desire to work outside
- Ability to operate mower and power equipment
- Ability to work under limited supervision
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Mechanical ability
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
Applications are available at the Recreation Department at Barrett Park between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and Thursday’s until 5:30 p.m. Deadline for filing for all summer positions is February 23, 2018. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status. The City of Leominster is an equal opportunity employer.
For further information, please contact the Recreation Department at 978-534-7529.